Friday, June 10, 2011

What are we fighting for?

I used to believe in this war. Wholeheartedly I did. Ever since being deployed here though, the question surfaces from the depths of my mind: "What are we still doing here?"

The reason I ask myself that is simple. We have surpassed the combat operations phase of Iraq. We are now in the portion where we train and assist the Iraqis. However most of them don't even want our help or to be bothered by us. Coupled with the fact that the amount of time we have left is very scant, there really doesn't seem to be a point to still be here, trying to assist people that could give a shit less and are probably trying to figure out a way to kill you while you drink chai with them.

Every time I hear of another soldier being killed I grow a little more disillusioned with being here. What makes the situation even more dismal is the fact that units are still deploying here for short deployments just to put guys at risk. Iraq is not as dangerous as Afghanistan but there is still the likely threat everywhere.

I can see why these people want us out of their country. We force ourselves upon them too quickly. We just can't seem to find the way out without any more needless deaths.

-RT

No comments:

Post a Comment