Tuesday, June 21, 2011

In hope, these are the last

Why are we still fighting this war? What have we to gain at this point? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

My unit suffered its first casualties the other day. Their lives were not worth giving, as we gained nothing from their deaths. They didn't die heroically, by jumping on a hand grenade or something of the sort, but by an EFP that could have hit anyone. They were set up by some crooked Iraqis. It's a crying shame that people can take such cold, calculated acts of aggression out on people they don't know. 


We had the memorial service a few days later. It was one of the most heart-wrenching experiences I have ever had. The only way I knew the two guys was by name; they weren't in my company.  When "Taps" was played at the service I lost it. Had it been soldiers under my command or even in my company I don't know how I would have handled it. It would have been a much more difficult experience.

Well I am almost five months into this deployment. Things have become a lot more routine and it's just day in, day out now. Come later in the year when we start to lose all of our facilities it will probably suck a little more though. I can't wait.

-RT

No comments:

Post a Comment